Thursday, November 4, 2010

Conferences & IEPs [Special Education from the General Education Eye]

Today I sat in on my first initial Individualized Education Program (IEP) meeting. It was also the first IEP meeting in which my name was on the actual IEP and I was able to sign-in. We had referred one of the girls in our class for special education under the category of learning disability. It was very interesting to observe an initial IEP, because I was able to hear all of the assessment results from the school psychologist. He actually led a majority of the meeting and then turned it over to the special education teacher. The meeting was quick and the parent, whom we know very well as she volunteers in the school, was very compliant and understanding. I was very excited because I really felt as though I knew everything that was going on and could predict what would happen next. It is so nice to finally be taking all of the knowledge that I have gained over the past three years and putting it into practice. With this placement it is also very beneficial to me that I am able to see special education from the general education perspective.

For example, we are currently in the process of referring two of our other students to special education and I have been able to see their performance in the general education setting and how their disability (or probable disability) affects their performance within the general education setting and with the general education curriculum. I have also been able to witness the referral process from this side and have been able to watch the conversations that my mentor teacher and the school psychologist had to have with the parents, informing them of the referral and asking for their permission for further testing. Luckily, in both cases, the parents were very accepting and open to any type of testing and/or programs that could help their son/daughter to receive the help that he/she needs. I think this was a very beneficial thing for me to witness, especially being a special education major, because for the most part I will be seeing these students once they have already been tested and referred for services. I enjoy having experiences in which I can both learn about and experience the events that take place before a student begins special education services.

No comments:

Post a Comment